Welcome to the CJU website » LOG IN


Long term follow-up of intravesical Bacillus Calmette-Guerin for the treatment of bladder transitional cell carcinoma
CHUM - Campus St-Luc, Universit? de Montr?al, Qu?bec
Feb  2000 (Vol.  7, Issue  1, Pages( 944 - 948)


Text-Size + 


    To review the long-term follow-up, in terms of recurrence and progression, of transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder treated with intravesical BCG with the following indications: CIS, Ta and T1.


    Ninety-two patients who had received complete course of BCG between 1987 and 1993 were included in the study and followed for an average of 59 months (range 12 to 102).


    The recurrence and progression were looked at. Patients treated with BCG for Carcinoma in situ, 11 of 19 (53%) remained tumor-free after 1 or 2 courses of BCG for the duration of the follow-up (mean 4.9 years, range 1.5 to 8.5 years). For patients treated for recurring tumors, 17 of 50 (34%) had no recurrences after 1 or 2 courses of BCG with the same follow-up. When facing multiple tumors, 10 of 23 (43%) patients did not experience recurrences. Therefore, in the 92 patients treated, 38 presented no recurrences after 1 or 2 courses of BCG, for a success rate of 41%. In terms of progression, of the 19 patients treated with BCG for CIS, 4 (21%) went on to develop muscle invasive disease. Of the 50 patients treated for recurrent tumors, 2 (4%) eventually developed lamina propria invasion (initial lesion was a Ta tumor), 4 (8%) carcinoma in situ and 7 (14%) muscle invasive disease, for an overall progression rate of 26% in this group. Of the 25 patients treated for multiple tumors, 1 (4%) developed CIS and 3 (12%) presented with muscle invasive disease, for an overall progression rate of 16% for the duration of the follow-up. Therefore, 21 of 92 (23%) patients had progression of their disease following BCG therapy. No prognostic factors for recurrence or progression could be identified in these tumors.


    When indications warrant its use, BCG is effective in reducing recurrences and limiting progression in TCC of the bladder. Recurrence within 2 years of treatment is, however, a sign of poor prognosis and other therapeutic options should be sought.